Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 07:16:30 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default ssh protocol in -STABLE [was: HEADS UP: FreeBSD-STABLEnow  has OpenSSH 3.4p1]

> Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 22:05:35 -0700
> From: Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>

> Anthony Rubin wrote:
> >
> > Do people who depend on such things run mergemaster and blindly accept
> > all changes?  Does everyone throw every new -RELEASE into production
> > without any testing?
>
> You've missed the point. This would be an architectural change. We do
> those between branches, not towards the end of life of a -stable branch.
>
> Those who want protocol 2 to be the default have a simple config change
> to make... users expecting the RELENG_4 branch to actually be -stable
> shouldn't have their expectations so violently disturbed.

Actually I'm not sure that history bears that out.  Take a look at
the fundamental changes in Sendmail functionality recently, granted
it's a "contrib" package but it is part of the base system and
enabled by default.  I'd say it comes pretty close to the current
scenario with openssh. (although I'll admit ssh probably has more
potential to mess up peoples management scripts etc)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium