Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:48:08 -0600
From:      "Ray Seals" <rseals@vdsi.net>
To:        "soZeKiZeR" <cjpellet3@netscape.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: wireless networking

How far away is your buddy's apartment.  I have used a couple of different
solutions in warehouse/office combinations with good results.  I haven't
used anything with FreeBSD yet.  We are putting one of these in our office
soon.

I have used the Cisco Aironet Access Point 340 with the Cisco cards both
AIR-PCI340 and AIR-PCM340.  I have used the Intel Pro/Wireless 2011 with the
Cisco Accesspoint 340.  I'm getting a Linksys Access point WAP11 and will be
trying it with both Cisco and Intel Wireless cards.

As long as everything supports 802.11b you can mix and match cards without
much of a problem.  Configuration is the trick.  Some vendors will call
things by different names so when you are trying to get a mix of stuff
working you have to read between the lines.  You get about 300 feet on the
range with these cards.  The network speeds range from 11mbps to 2mbps.  It
depends on signal strength, etc.  All network cards are PCMCIA.  To use it
in a PCI slot you buy an adapter.  You can plan on spending anywhere from
$250 - $1000 for the access point (aka. hub) and anywhere from $175 to $300
for a NIC.  I prefer the Cisco Accesspoint stuff.  The cards are designed
better for laptops.  The antennas are design to be lower profile.  The
access points are slick they are built for wall/ceiling mounts in unfriendly
areas.  The Cisco Aironet devices are the ones they use in Home Depots for
the registers and inventory control guns.

You really need to watch the specs on the lower end devices.  What you find
is that they will support a smaller number of devices than the more
expensive guys.  So buy the best you can afford.  There is a reason some are
cheaper than others.

I don't have any experience with FreeBSD on these devices.  But hope to have
some in the next month.

Ray