Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 1996 11:04:57 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup question, src/tools not updated, make release trouble

> >And the sup control files are under
> >/home/sup, which we're more-or-less stuck with because it's hard-coded
> >into everybody's supfiles.
>
> But if we establish a new set of sup-files, who cares what "is in everybody's"

My point is that there are thousands of FreeBSD supfiles out there
in the world, and each line of every one contains "hostbase=/home".
That means that every FreeBSD sup/CVSup mirror _must_ have a set
of valid sup control files under "/home/sup".  The only alternative
would be to ask every existing sup user to change his supfiles.
The dust from that might settle within a year or so, if we were lucky.

> The standard files will still apply only to someone who gets
> "everything".  Otherwise, the update to the sup-files will destroy
> local modifications.

I don't understand what you mean.  Aren't we talking about keeping the
sup _mirrors_ up-to-date?  It's only the mirrors who would be supping
the sup control files.  The mirrors should not have any local
modifications.  If they do, then they're not really mirrors.

Maybe we're using different terminology?  When I say "supfile", I mean
the file that a client feeds to the "sup" or "cvsup" program.  When I
say "sup control files", I mean the set of files (under /home/sup for
FreeBSD) that the server "supfilesrv" or "cvsupd" looks at.

> >  I'd propose that we standardize on /home/current or
> >/home/FreeBSD-current, and likewise for -stable.
>
> >Of course, those could be symlinks to whereever the mirror administrator
> >wanted to put the actual files.
>
> The argument AGAINST that standard is that the mirrors have to have the
> files in /pub anyway.
>
> The /home directory is usually under more administrative restriction than
> is the /pub space.

I bet there's not one official FreeBSD sup mirror that's maintained
by a person who does not have root privileges.

> Symlinks can go either way.

No, they cannot.  The FTP daemon runs chrooted to ~ftp.  It cannot
follow symlinks that lead out of there.  Any symlinks would have to
point into the ~ftp tree, not out of it.