Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 14:31:12 -0600
From:      allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle and Linux

> > What are we doing in this area for FreeBSD...
>
> You're supposed to be letter-writing to Oracle committing to buying a
> FreeBSD Oracle.

My CSI number has spoken.

> Or you could be helping the SVr4 emulation effort with a copy of Oracle
> for Solaris/x86.
>
> Or you could be pre-registering for a copy of Oracle for Linux and
> helping improve the Linux emulation to support it.

Been there, done that.  Do this even if you don't want it.  You
can bet they are watching the numbers.

When I receive it, I will be attempting to run it on 3.0, which will
probably be RELEASE by then.  I hope I can be of help as a tester.

Oracle recognized Linux because its customers (corporate developers,
DBAs and system admins) wanted it.  FreeBSD will be recognized when
it represents a similar market significance.  I am optimistic
because to Oracle, one administrator is worth hundreds of desktops.
One administrator who recognizes the potential of Linux is worth
several ordinary admins, and one FreeBSD admin is worth at least
three or four typical Linux guys. :)

They just don't know it yet.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.