Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:25:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thread scheduling

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Russell L. Carter wrote:

> %> Not a guarantee, but would it be a good thing to have them
> %> "co-scheduled" (or a bias towards that likelihood).
> %
> %But, I can't see any advantage to have them co-scheduled.
>
> In the realm of parallel numerical algorithms there are
> quite a lot of practical algorithms that require cross
> "task" communication and to the extent that the "tasks"
> are not executed in roughly synchronous fashion so that
> their intricate communication schedules may be carried
> out more or less non-blocking then the algorithm
> suffers from disastrous multicpu inefficiency.
> Typically, these "tasks" share miniscule amounts of data,
> but any "waiting" is fatal to scalable throughput.
> Hence the development of the "gang scheduling" notion
> that Arun referred to.  This is most highly refined
> and effectively implemented in Cray UNICOS systems.
>
> But I wouldn't worry about it.  It's a small slice of
> the whole customer pie, and causes indigestion for
> my particular fetish, which is independently
> schedulable (ala POSIX) threads capable of
> meeting QOS guarantees. :-)

OK, thanks, guys.  That question's done.  I have more, but I need to
investigate code now, so as not to waste more time.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)