Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 12:39:39 -0500
From:      Scott Morris <smorris@tsi.gte.com>
To:        gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user ppp -auto

        Glenn,

        I usually do a kill -HUP pid on the ppp process if I want to kill it
off prior to timeout which is seldom, generally I let it run it's course. As
to the connection starting prior to an ip request, that's one I've never
seen but I'm running 2.1.5.

At 10:57 AM 2/6/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I am using the user ppp -auto program with FreeBSD 2.1.6. Everything
>works fine, except that I noticed Netscape and ncftp2 keep the
>connection alive even if I am not sending any packets. How do I set ppp
>filters in order to have these connections close the ppp link when it is
>idle, ie., when a download is finished, or I have not clicked a web link
>for some time? I have the timeout period set for 300 seconds, but the
>connection stays up until 300 seconds after I close the application,
>ie., ncftp2. I want to have the connection close 300 seconds after a
>download is finished, without having to close the application, so I
>don't have to baby-sit the computer to free up my phone line. Also, I
>noticed these programs establish the link even before I enter an IP
>request. This is OK, except that Xemacs also does this. I do not want a
>ppp connection up when I am using xemacs, so how can I filter this
>behavior out? In advance, I thank everyone who responds to this.
>
>Glenn Johnson

---
Scott Morris			* I have an A1 certified steak in my freezer.
GTE Telecommunication Services	* It's sad when your meat is more secure
smorris@tsi.gte.com		* than your computer.
813-273-3917			*
*** My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer. ***