Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 15:19:39 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how much ram/cpu/swap to run emacs/xemacs effectively?

dochawk@psu.edu types:
> jonathon jubilated, :)
> > On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:34:31AM -0400, dochawk@psu.edu wrote:
> > | Jonathon jib ed
> > | But, but . . . :)
> > Feel free to insert your editor of choice.  :)
> We'll leave the One True Editor out of this :)  Besides, I've wimped
> out and used its visual descendant . . .

What? you mean you don't switch between all three almost at random?
Being able to use the best tool for the job is important.

I wonder what happened to qed?

> Actually, that stability is the only thing I find that distinguishes it
> from microsoft products--it has the rest of the characteristics:
> bloated beyond machine resources,

While true, it's irrelevant. Emacs is *small* compared to the things
one finds running on modern Unix workstations: Netscape, GNOME, KDE,
XFree86-4, etc.

> tries to do absolutely everything,

Tries? Ok, it doesn't run 3d gas flow models very well, but if you've
got xemacs, you don't need Netscape, GNOME, KDE, XFree86-4 etc.  and
it's smaller than them to boot.

> and downright hostile to the standards used by everything else . . .

Nah, it'll run on Windows as well as Unix.

	(read mike)