Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 10:18:24 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@brizzie.org>
To:        "Paul LeBlond" <rich_beggar@hotmail.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Modem configuration

Methinks the manufacturer speak with forked tongue !!!!!

I've had the misfortune to encounter those abortions several times
recently & if they aren't winmodems (apparently thats a registered
name belong USR) then its purely a matter of symantics.

I haven't even tried to use them in FreeBSD, but they are very common
here in "Wincomputers" aka entry level / homeuser quality Acer /
Compak
/ Dell IBM / HP / etc machines sold by the likes of Hardly Normal (OZ)
& probably Walmart (US). They definitely won't work in W2K, so thats
usually a good indication of a what most people would consider a
winmodem,
notwithstanding the fact that USR appears to own the name.