Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 09:16:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        Jan_Guldemond <jg@euronet.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SLIP-server

On Mon, 3 Apr 1995, Jan_Guldemond wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have set up a SLIP server and it's running quite well. But I in the
> slip.login script I only execute the ifconfig command. How can I send some
> string to the dialup-terminal. I use Winsock under MS-Windows to call in for
> a SLIP-connection. But what command should i execute to sned a string to the
> Winsock-client. I've tried echo 'line of text' > /dev/ttyd0 but this doesn't
> seem to work.

The kernel won't do any terminal input/output in the SLIP line discipline
(IMHO it wouldn't be a bad thing if one could still do terminal output,
but there are probably issues I haven't considered).  So, any I/O (such as
your "echo" above) has to be done before /usr/sbin/sliplogin changes into
the SLIP discipline :-(

I've had to hack sliplogin to implement some local stuff...

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu