Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:25:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Complete lockup when using Compact Flash via ATA mode.

Hi -
	I'm not sure I've got my terminology exactly right, but here's my
problem.  I've got a small server that has a compact flash card slot
built-in so that it appears as a standard hard drive (the BIOS sees it as
HDD2 and FreeBSD as /dev/ad2).  I'm trying to install FreeBSD onto this
drive from source cvsupped a day or two ago.

However, part way through (and it's never at the same place) the entire
machine completely locks up.  No messages to the console, nothing in log
files, zip.  But the entire machine is completely frozen.

Once I had it happen while doing a "rm -rf *" in the directory I'd mounted
it to.

However, I've also used rawio to write a 220 meg file (the card is 256 and
freebsd says there's 222 available) without problems and set it to
randomly write 1 meg files all night long and it was still up in the
morning.

So my question is do I have a flaky flash card?  Or a bad controller of
some sort?  Or something else?

And is there any way to figure out what it is (without purchasing more
cards :) or map around the "bad spot" or?

Server info: http://www.nexcom.com/product/ebc/ebs1569/1569ps.htm

Thanks all!

-philip