Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:10:40 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Andrew Kosyakov <caseq@tangram.spb.ru>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com, nick.hibma@jrc.it, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Console driver (was: Problems with irq 9(2)?)

Quoting sos@FreeBSD.ORG:
> > Honestly, I don't really see the point in having a nifty pseudo-
> > graphical mouse cursor in text mode. First, it's overkill because you
> > only need character resolution, not pixel resolution. Second, it
> > steals four characters from your character set. Third, it doesn't work
> > properly (or at least doesn't look good) in all modes.
>
> First, I need char resolution in some apps, strange but true.
> Second, 256 chars is not enough anyways, so having 252 is just a little worse.
It's much worse if these 4 characters happen to be widely used letters
in your charset. Yes, I know I can load fonts for another charset and then
use screen map, but somewhy I like the idea of inverted block character
cursor much more.

> Third, it was done by "popular demand", so there is use for it.
> Fourth, it was fun doing :)
It would be really "popular" to be able to customize this feature :)

Sincerely yours
						/&rew

---
Andrew Kosyakov, Tangram Ltd, +7 (812) 516-6981, caseq@tangram.spb.ru
PGP Key fingerprint: BA A8 48 20 E4 AE 9C 52  C5 5F C3 B8 1E 67 2C BF