Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:06:27 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 net performance and panic with 1000's of sockets open

>  Using another test program I found that FreeBSD would panic. The program
>opened 1000 sockets to the squid box and requested a file from the web
>through each. The machine would panic with a page fault everytime I ran

   You need more networking buffers. Something like:

options "NMBCLUSTERS=8000"

   might work, but this depends on how large the socket buffers are for each
of the open connections. Later versions of FreeBSD will panic immediately
when running out of buffers, rather than panicing randomly a few seconds
later.

-DG

David Greenman