Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:20:25 +0100
From:      "Jeff Rollin" <jeff.rollin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extensions and Themes in Firefox

On 12/09/06, Pete Slagle <freebsd-questions@voidcaptain.com> wrote:

> rance@frontiernet.net wrote:
>
> > uninstall firefox
> >
> > then make sure linux binary compatibility is enabled, the easiest way
> > to do that is with sysinstall.  (read the handbook for more info on
> > this step)
> >
> > Now cd into /usr/ports/www
> > and look at any port whose name starts with "linux"
> >
> > the ones I found most helpful where:
> > linux-firefox
> > linux-flashplugin7
> > linuxpluginwrapper
> >
> > you might also want to look at
> > linux-mplayer-plugin if you use mplayer for windows media files
>
> Another,(possibly heretical) approach is to take 10 minutes to slap
> Ubuntu (or the like) on your desktop box. Out of the gate it easily runs
> Firefox, multimedia, cutting edge video drivers, wi-fi, and a bunch of
> apps that are troublesome to configure on FreeBSD.
>
> You can then install VMware Server (also painless) and run a local
> FreeBSD VM for quick desktop access when you need the Real Thing. It's
> easy to SSH and VNC back and forth and open X windows between the two
> systems and have the best of both worlds.
>
> Don't get me wrong; I far prefer working in FreeBSD to any other system,
> and spend most of my time there. But life is just easier when you have
> more tools close to your work area. It's simple to set up, and has been
> rock solid for me.

Well, I'm sorry  you've all been beavering away offering helpful
suggestions, because following rance's first suggestion i installed
linux-firefox instead.

Coincidentally, Pete - this FreeBSD install is already on a VMware image!
The bare hardware is running SuSE. I had intended to run FreeBSD on the bare
hardware, but it doesn't recognise either of the two wireless NICs (one was
bought for use with Linux/BSD, the other is a Broadcom, argh!).

As an aside, before finding that SuSE works with the PC card wifi NIC, I
used FreeBSD on a VMware image in XP (thank God those days are over). It
(FreeBSD) runs faster in VMware (which I understand is a customised Linux),
running on SuSE Linux than XP did on the bare hardware. Go figure. In fact I
just can't believe how fast it is - it used to crawl running Enlightenment
stuck on top of XP, now it flies running KDE.

Thanks for your suggestions, all.