Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:22:11 -0800
From:      "Majid Almassari" <majid@ibroadcast.net>
To:        "Sabre" <sabre@sabresdomain.com>, "Mike" <pirone@surfree.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: modem

What I heard is that Winmodem the "name" is a Registered Trade Mark (TM) to
what is known formally as US-Robotics, and currently as 3-COM. They will not
release the source code making it extremely difficult for Developers to
create drivers for other OSes. I bet there were attempts but not complete
ones due to this problem. I use to work for a Help Desk for an ISP and 95%
of the calls involves Winmodems that don't work under Windows. They are not
even worth the trouble and frustration for their cheap price. I rather pay
extra and get something more reliable in return. Just my $.02.

--
Majid Almassari, MSEE, MCP.
Systems Administrator