Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 14:21:34 -0600
From:      Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   LPD problem ... I'm stumped ...

I originally posted this to "questions", but never got any answers. Figured
I would try the REAL experts :)

I have 3 systems, all 2.05R. The two remotes are dialed into ISP's in their
cities. I have /etc/printcap entries on the local system for both remotes.
After installation, both systems printed ok. One system has stopped, and I
can't find any reason for it. The status is now 'waiting for xx.xx.xx.xx to
come up'. I have rebooted both machines. /etc/hosts.lpd on the remote has
the local number in it (originally had the name). This was working fine, and
then just stopped accepting print jobs. HELP!! How can I test that lpd is
working on the remote machine for 'remote-type' jobs. (Jobs queued directly
on that machine print fine.) The problem machine is a 14.4 dialup.

What's driving me really nuts is that both machines were working fine, and
both were installed the same (actually copied one to the other and modified
a few files). Now one doesn't work, and I can't find a reason.

Could this be a "not responding quick enough to port open" problem? Are
there any tweaks I could apply to lpd.c (or printjob.c actually) to help this?

Thanks for any help.

Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
AOS/VS, FreeBSD, DOS:
I'm caught in a maze of twisty little command interpreters, all different.