Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:03:58 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed chage to sbuf semantics.

>OK, how about sbuf_finish() clears the overflow but still returns -1?

But sbuf_finish() hasn't failed.  Remember that I've had the oportunity
to notice the overflow on every other sbuf function invokation and I've
chosen to ignore it.  So long as SBUF_HASOVERFLOWED (or a function
equivalent) is provided, any caller that really cares can check prior
to calling sbuf_finish().

One other point.  It would be nice if the return values were in the
errno style unless you believe that the only error that can ever be
returned indicates that an overflow occurred.

>> I didn't read the man page, I read the code.
>
>This is FreeBSD, not Linux.

I hardly see how this matters.  Private interfaces should be
documented as such in the header file (or not exist there at all)
as well as the man page.  Sometimes reading the code is easier than
reading the man page and regardless of how you feel about the
necessity of reading the man page the fact is that some people
wont.

--
Justin