Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:34:52 +0100
From:      Jan Schlesner <jschlesn@physik.TU-Berlin.DE>
To:        Steve Shorter <steve@nomad.tor.lets.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "server not responding" / "is alive again" NFS tunables

Hi,

some weeks ago, the same problem was posted in this newsgroup. Here is
the anwser from Ian Dowse:
--
These are a side-effect of the operation of the NFS dynamic retransmit
timeout code. The NFS client measures the request response time for

The time taken by the server to perform some operations can vary
wildly though, so occasionally when a large number of operations
complete with very little delay, the response time estimate and
hence the timeout become very small. Then when one request is
unusually slow to complete (such as when the disk on the server is
busy), the client thinks that the server isn't responding and prints
those warnings. A fraction of a second later the request completes
and the client prints a an 'is alive again' message.

On non-soft mounts these messages are completely harmless because
the client will just wait for the server to eventually reply. On
soft mounts, the effect can cause problems because applications
occasionally see an EINTR error.

The dynamic retransmit timeout code can be disabled with the `-d'
flag to mount_nfs; this is often recommended for fast networks that
see very little packet loss.
--

--
[ gpg key: http://wwwnlds.physik.tu-berlin.de/~schlesner/jschlesn.gpg ]
[ key fingerprint: 4236 3497 C4CF 4F3A 274F  B6E2 C4F6 B639 1DF4 CF0A ]