Date:      17 Sep 2001 15:23:47 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Brad Watts <bwatts@corp.attcanada.ca>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cannot Start XF86_SVGA Server

Brad Watts <bwatts@corp.attcanada.ca> writes:

> When attempting to startx, I get the following errors (below):

> Using XFree86 ATI driver version 4.6.
> Unknown graphics controller detected.
> Unknown chip descriptor in BIOS:  0x3F3F0000.
> Unknown video adapter detected.
> Brooktree 476 or similar RAMDAC detected.
> Support for this video adapter is highly experimental!

I didn't see the X version ID anywhere, but it looks like it's too old
for your card.  My XFree85 4.0.3 doc, README.DRI says under "ATA Rage
128":

  The PCI versions of these cards also have minimal support.  Note that
  there are also Rage 128 Pro based boards on the market, and these are
  not yet supported.

It seems that Rage 128 is supported by 3.x and 4.0.3, but not the "pro".

The docs are sometimes not current, so you might want to keep
investigating.  At least check out www.xfree86.org as I think 4.1 is
out now.