Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:37:56 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        anderson@centtech.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improved searching for FreeBSD.org web site

On Friday 23 August 2002 08:54am, Eric Anderson wrote:

> Heck, I'm offering to babysit the thing and keep it up to date (more than
> can be said about the currently pathetic search engine on the site), and
> this company is looking for a free advertising angle.

I can understand if you are frustrated by not getting a response before...
however,  I think it would be false to make any assumptions what Atomz's
motivations are until they are clearly stated to us.

IMO, both engines look nice.

I'm assuming your search engine is an OSS project.
	Pros:
		- We can contribute to it, improve it over time
		- There is no possibility we'd ever have to pay for it
		- There is the aspect of eating ones own dog food.
	Cons:
		- You are a single point of failure (currently).

Atomz Search.
	Pros:
		- Clearly has more bells and whistles (AFAIK)
		- Is in use in many commercial environments
		- Fully hosted (does not require us to install/maintain anything)
		- Atomz runs FreeBSD to host their service
	Cons:
		- Long term viability (will it always be there?)
		- Cost  (free today, cost tomorrow)?

This relationship should be clarified, but on the surface I like it so far.
In the event Atomz folds or changes the terms of the relationship later, I
don't believe it would be a colossal effort to get htDig or some other engine
in place quickly.

In the event that Atomz uses FreeBSD as a promotional piece -- realize it can
work both ways:  we can also say that their platform succeeds in part by
using FreeBSD.

I think it was nice of Atomz to offer, and open a dialogue with us.  I'd like
to know more about what they can do for us.

Cheers,
--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]