Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 15:36:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
Cc:        proot@horton.iaces.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, questions@freebsd.org, mike@newell.arlington.va.us
Subject:   Re: Routed supports variable-length netmasks?

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996, Chris Shenton wrote:

> Oops, I mis-spoke -- meant "static", not "default".

:-)

> Either way, as you point out, the "route add..." in ip-up fails
> because the script cannot obtain the permissions it needs.  :-(

Looks like what most people on the list did was either modified route to
add a "setuid(0,0)" at the start or removed the check for uid.  Recompile
and stuff the new version into /etc/ppp.  My guess is that's the best
thing to do in our cases, since we're not letting Joe User (tm) on our
machines...

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |
| Mike@Newell.arlington.va.us          | http://www.newell.arlington.va.us  |
| "Peace.  It's wonderful!"  Father Divine.                                 |