Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:54:19 -0600
From:      Paul Dokas <dokas@oitsec.umn.edu>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: undoing gmirror

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Paul Dokas wrote:
>> I've got a computer that was running FreeBSD 6.2 on two 250GB drives that
>> were configured as a gmirror pair.  However, I've switched computers and
>> I want to reinstall this computer with FreeBSD 7.0 beta without gmirror.
>> However, after reinstalling and rebooting with a kernel that contains
>> GEOM_MIRROR, I find that it is still finding the old gmirror labels and
>
> Run "gmirror clear drive1 drive2..." while GEOM_MIRROR is *not* loaded.

Ahhh!  I tried gmirror clear, but only while the mirror was active.  I'll
do it without the GEOM_MIRROR loaded.

>> can't find the real root partition.
>
> Do you mean it mounts root from the mirror? You'll need to modify fstab
> (and maybe loader.conf) if you want to switch from a mirrored volume to
> single drives.

Yes, it tried, and failed miserably.  The machine was essentially useless
at that point.  And, to make matters worse, while trying to get the machine
working again, I booted from the 7.0beta CD, entered "fixit" and then
enabled gmirror by hand.  This had the miserable effect of discovering
the old gmirror'd drives and then resyncing them while using the secondary
drive as the master...

I'll be reinstalling it again tomorrow.

Paul
Paul Dokas                                     dokas at oitsec.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."