Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 09:06:32 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, bob@luke.pmr.com, freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using amanda from ports

    Gary> There was a problem in the SCSI tape code (probably in
    Gary> 2.0.5R also, as the bug was noticed (by me at least) after
    Gary> the disk was pressed).

It was a problem with tape mounting.  st.c from -current (well
-current as of a month ago, at least) had some corrections that fixed
the problem, and it worked with 2.0.5R.  You could work around the
problem by

1  Never booting with a tape in the drive.
2  Doing a ``mt -f /dev/rst? status'' before inserting the tape.
3  Insert the tape
4  Do another status.  Then use the drive happily.

    Gary> ``spontaneously reboot'' == kernel stack overflow (if there
    Gary> wasn't a panic message).

I used to have hard crashes when writing to a DAT drive: no
spontaneous reboot, no panic message, just a total lockup.  I moved
the DAT drive away from the QIC and CD-ROM in the case and it worked
fine.  It turned out heat was the culprit.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

If I ever do a book on the Amazon, I hope I am able to bring a certain
lightheartedness to the subject, in a way that tell the reader we are
going to have fun with this thing.  -- Jack Handey