Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:49:43 -0700
From:      "Douglas C. Garrick" <dcg@panther.pacificorp.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I blew it bad!

Well I apparently dropped a quotation mark while editing /etc/sysconfig yesterday.  Because now,  when the machine boots it hits the error in /etc/sysconfig and bombs.  It tells me to supply the root password or ^D to boot multiuser.

Problem... I have never NEVER supplied a root password.  And I sure can't rememer changing the console to insecure in /etc/ttys.

So I have a problem.

Is there a way to boot and bypass /etc/sysconfig?  If not how can I use a fixit floppy to mount /dev/sd01a and vi the /mnt/etc/sysconfig?   Or is there some other way to boot to single user and fix the /etc/sysconfig?  Or is there some secret password
recovery scheme that I can use to find a nonexistant password?

Thanks for all your help

Doug
*                                                              *
*  Douglas C.  Garrick                                         *
*  Systems Administrator                                       *
*  Bridger Coal Company                                        *
*  P.O.  Box 2068                                              *
*  9.5 miles n.e. of Point of Rocks Wyoming                    *
*  Rock Springs,  Wyoming 82901-2068                           *
*  voice (307).382.9742   fax (307).362.5330                   *
*  email dcg@panther.upl.com                                   *