Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:25:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        mlnn4@oaks.com.au
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fibre channel

As Hallam Oaks wrote...
> Hi,
>
> I'm now going to demonstrate my total ignorance of fibre channel ;)
>
> Who here can tell me what we need to set up a working fibre channel hard
> drive system, apart from the controller and drive ? I'm not referring
> specifically to FC on FreeBSD per se, but the actual hardware.
>
> I know I'd (obviously) need some fibre optic cable, but I'm unsure if you

Not so obviously as you think: FC also runs on copper wiring. For shorter
max distances though.

> also need an external optical transciever. That is, I'm unsure if these are
> built into the FC hardware, or if the FC devices connect to the transcievers
> via some sort of standard electrical - rather than optical - interface.

On adapters you normally will find GLM (gigabit link modules). These can
be for copper or for multi or single mode fiber.

> If so, does anyone know how much these transcievers tend to cost (low power
> type) ? What else is needed to have a working system ? (apart from the driver
> software that is ... at the moment I'm only concerned about hardware.)

FC stuff is currently still pretty expensive. Check www.emulex.com for
some sample hardware.

Wilko