Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 13:37:21 +1100 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        max@underdog.maxie.com (Max Goof)
Cc:        witr@rwwa.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another cool hack with FreeBSD...

Max Goof writes:

> > I was wondering about load balancing several lines?

 [ .. ]

> A few points you might want to consider here, based on how we are set up...

> 	At least in our area, two normal phone lines would cost only $3
> less than we pay for flat-rate ISDN (About $55 a month).

Not all countries have this price-ratio. In Australia, a residential phone
line can be had for $A11/month where ISDN works out at ~$A2.5k/year for a
point-to-point connection (more for demand-dialling).

These costs are in addition to the "access charge" that an ISP would want.
With Telstra Internet, access at 28k8 is a flat $A500/month. ISDN is a
_minimum_ of $A2k/month for _one_ _unused_ 64k channel. Use it, and that
can reach $A9k/month .. I know, I have one :-( Their pricing is available
for viewing at http://www.aarnet.edu.au/aarnet/pricelist.html.

Multi-link protocols would help enormously in this country, if only to force
Telstra to be more reasonable about their ISDN pricing,

	michael