Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 1995 16:35:41 +0000 ()
From:      Sergio Lenzi <lenzi@cwbtwo.bsi.com.br>
To:        Robert Wise <rob@flopsy.hobart.tased.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp server

About setting a machine as a ppp server....

I've done it in this site here in Brazil.

I run a machine (big) with 4.2Gb and two ethernet boards.
one of the boards is connected to 2 small machines (486/dx2/66 with 8Mb
of memory, 170Mb of disk and a dumb serial card of 16 ports).
I configured the system in this small boxes as having 16 ppp (not ijppp)
lines. There is a small shell with is executed by the users as they
logged in, this script searches a table of ip's and finaly
executes pppd passive :xx.xx.xx.xx  so the ip is attached to the port,
not the user.

There is a nfs mount of /home for the users, and a nis/yp for
enabling users to login from any machine...

Building this small machine is cheaper than other solutions, as
a whole machine with the dumb card is 1500.00 dollars...

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi.