Date:      Thu, 1 Sep 2011 16:15:06 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Custom installer woes (can't mount / RW)

Hi,
I'm trying to create a custom installer for FreeBSD to automatically =
setup our systems, however I am having a very odd problem.

The general idea is that I build a release, then create a chroot in =
which I install the slab of required ports for our system. I then tar =
that up and format a USB key (the same way it's done for a release) with =
the tar on it.

I then boot the USB key and go to the live FS and run my install script. =
It creates the file systems, unpacks the base distribution and my ports =
tar ball. Then I tweak various settings and reboot.

The problem I am having is that when I boot into the newly installed =
system I can't mount / RW, when I try it reports "Operation not =
permitted".

My script is at..
http://www.gsoft.com.au/~doconnor/install-os.sh

The odd thing (to me) is that I used the same gpart/newfs sequence when =
creating the USB stick and that can mount root RW just fine..

I tried booting verbose but there is no information forthcoming.

I am running SU+J however I tried disabling both on / and rebooting, but =
with no change.

The other partitions can be mounted RW just fine, and if I boot off =
other media I can mount what is / just fine as well.

If I install using bsdinstaller it works, so I have a work around, but I =
would like to use my custom script as it saves a lot of time and finger =
trouble.

Any help appreciated.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum