Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 09:51:23 -0500
From:      Alex Nash <alex@fa.tdktca.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW bugs? (fwd)

Ollivier Robert wrote:

> It seems that Alex Nash said:
> > I believe DNS/tcp is for zone transfers only.  DNS/udp is all you need
> > for standard lookups.
>
> Not really. If named see  that the answer will  be more  than 512 bytes  in
> size, it will send the answer with the TF  (truncated flag) bit set and the
> resolver is supposed to re-try the query with TCP.

Does our named do this?  I (briefly) went looking for this behavior and
found:

	if (hp->tc) {
		count -= arcount;	/* truncation had to affect this */
		if (!arcount) {
			count -= aucount;	/* guess it got this too */
		}
		if (!(arcount || aucount)) {
			count -= ancount;	/* things are pretty grim */
		}
		/* XXX - should retry this query with TCP */
	}

Alex