Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:35:02 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Raul Zighelboim <raul@zighelboim.com>
Cc:        "Mark A.Hummel" <mhumm2@mchsi.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDM Configuration Question (Replace XDM???)

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 10:21:57AM -0400, Raul Zighelboim wrote:

> > Anyway, to run kdm at boot-time, the usual way is to have a script in
> > /usr/local/etc/rc.d/kdm.sh that will be run at boot-time.  The kde port
> > doesn't install one; perhaps it should.  Here's mine:
> >

> mmmm. I thought the best way was to edit /etc/ttys and replace the x for
> a k and off for on on the line:
> ttyv8	"/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"	xterm	off	secure

That's certainly true for xdm, but kdm doesn't recognise the -nodaemon
switch, and becomes a daemon regardless.  That kind of thing tends to
confuse init :-)  I decided it was easier to write script that figure out
how to make kdm play nice.

Of course the silly thing is that kdm is just an extended xdm (all the xdm
code is in there) so it probably took extra work to remove that feature.
Oh well.

	Scott