Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 21:40:30 GMT
From:      Michael Ryan <mike@NetworX.ie>
Cc:        FreeBSD Support <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dfilter in iijppp

Hi Igor,

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:58:51 +0200 (EET) Pseudo-user collecting FreeBSD mailing
lists. wrote:

> >From /usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf:
>
> "If you want to disable DNS tests, do not comment out or delete this list.
> Instead use the -D command line option"
>
> It works for me.

My understanding of "dns_testnames" is it's how Squid determines if there's
a path to the Internet or not.  On my machine, I've simply set this to the
localhost "dns_testnames localhost".  That' fine, but it's not what I was
talking about.

My problem is that for Squid to actually go out there and retrieve pages,
the first thing it'll do is generate a DNS query on the host name of the
web site.  Unless DNS is permitted in the dfilter rule set, this will not
trigger the ppp dial-up, so Squid will fail, saying that the host isn't
reachable (because the IP address couldn't be ascertained).  Therefore,
it seems to me that DNS -must- be permitted in the dfilter ruleset.

My problem with this is that, now, -every- service will, in effect, cause
the dial-up to occur, because almost every service will first of all
generate a DNS query (just like Squid).

See what I mean?

Bye,
Mike