Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 01:25:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

> >> We need a new model. One that keeps the quality high and one
> >> that doesn't prevent me from doing new development.
> >
> >Do you have any suggestions?  Would creating a new 'stable' tree today
> >be even remotely acceptable?
>
>    I think that's an interesting idea, but lets allow the issue to get a fair
> airing (at least a week or two) before taking any steps in this direction.

I have heard some mistatments, and incorrect assumptions about what -stable
was/is, when it was created, and how it was _suppose_ to work.  The above
``idea'' posted by Nate, is infact the _closest_ thing that has been said
to what I had intended to occur when I set this up some 13 months ago.

Here is a more accurate history, from the horses mouse so to speak since
it was I who proposed this whole thing, and it was I how did the CVS
work to create them.

a) I merged RELENG_2_0_5 (a branch) into the HEAD, then pulled the
   RELENG_2_1_0 branch out so that work could begin on the next
   CDROM release at 2.1, which was suppose to take a month or so
   to do, it dragged, but did get done with a fairly small delta set
   (do a cvs rdiff -rRELENG_2_1_0_BP -rRELENG_2_1_0_RELEASE to see it).

   Mean while developement work was to (and has) continue on the HEAD
   branch.

b) The RELENG_2_1_0 branch was to continue life as a _maintance_ / _bugfix_
   branch known as -stable to support those users out there who needed
   this.  It was _NEVER_ meant to last longer than 4 months (remember, back
   then everyone still wanted to see 2 to 4 releases a year.)

   It was _never_ meant to have a _SECOND_ full blown release rolled out
   of it, unless it was down within the 3 to 4 month window.

c) It was the intention that some 3 months after 2.1 rolled out the door
   that the release engineering team for 2.2 _should_ be keeping an eye
   on HEAD to decide _when_ to pop down the RELENG_2_2_0_BP point tag,
   and start the RELENG_2_2_0 branch.  [Never happened, and probably should
   have been what happened when Jordan attempted to do the MEGA merge of
   HEAD into RELENG_2_1_0.]

d) After the release team had played with this new RELENG_2_2_0 branch for
   a week or so getting into a buildable state it would be rolled out in
   alpha form to start the alpha/beta/release testing.

e) Once RELENG_2_2_0 was actually released (ie, RELENG_2_2_0_RELEASE had
   be applied as a tag) it would become the -stable bits.

A flaw in my logic was that I called the mailing lists -stable, and the
sup collections, etc that as well.  I should have called it all branch-2.1,
as now there is no easy way, except to have a ``flag day'', to replace the
-stable sup/ctm collections on Freefall.