Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:27:18 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        doconnor@ist.flinders.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IJPPP dial on demand

(following up to -questions)
On Thu, Oct 09, 1997 at 08:56:18PM +0930, Daniel J. O'Connor wrote:
> Hi,
> I have IJPPP to do dial on demand(and it actually works! :), but the problem is
> that the event to cause a dialup(ie a telnet being run or whatever) gets
> munched.
> By that I mean that if I am not dialed up and do 'telnet foo.bar', I will
> have to kill it and wait for the dial up to finish happening and try it again,
> otherwise it will time out.

I'm not really sure what you're saying here.  Are you saying:

1.  You're not connected, and you issue a telnet command.
2.  PPP starts to dial, but it doesn't connect, and you have to kill
    it.

Or are you saying:

1.  You have an idle telnet connection, and the line isn't connected.
2.  You enter something, which causes PPP to dial, but you don't get a
    TCP-level connection.

The second scenario is typical for dynamic addressing.  The first I
don't understand, but it might not be the case.

> It might be because after a dial up succeeds, my IP changes(dynamic IP
> assignment ): so the packets go to the wrong place..
> Does anyone know of a way to fix it?

If it's (2), the answer is "get a static address".

> Also, would it be possible to allow the dial command to be used from the ppp
> command prompt? This would allow some very handy stuff to happen..
> (I tried, but got also sorts of weird problems happening)

Can't you do this from telnet to port 3000?  But I can't see why you
would want to.

Greg