Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:54:02 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clicky driver

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:07:34 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
 > On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 01:19:49AM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:
 > > On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 20:23:22 -0800 Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
[..]
 > >  > 	Wow; the stuff I've never heard about:-)   --I just tried spkrtest
 > >  > 	and have no /dev/speaker.
 > >
 > > # kldload speaker
 >
 > 	Thanks!  I just listened to the opening few notes of Star Trek [!]
 > 	But very faint and I don't know if the dinky BEL is a chip or a
 > 	real speaker.
 >
 > 	Anybody know how I can redirect the beep to my speakers?  I miss
 > 	the confirmation that vi/vim puts out.
[..]
 > > Some laptops use the sound'card' for speaker, and provide a mixer level.
 >
 > 	Should be a way to send the beep to my desktop speakers, then,
 > 	right?  I've got volume and power, treble/bass.

Depends entirely on whether the speaker is wired into the sound system.
If so, mixer will show a speaker device, eg on my 10y.o. Armada 1500c:

% mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  80:80
Mixer synth    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  92:92
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  51:51
Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0
Mixer line1    is currently set to   0:0
Recording source: mic

cheers, Ian