Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:16:30 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

In message <2962.848862355@time.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
>> X/64/32 is okay.  Basically, Jordan, the entire message is a big
>> bogosity at all.  I've always been annoyed by it.  Why not leave it
>> alone in the DD case?  (NB: i _don't_ advocate for the latter change
>> for 2.2, but for 3.0-current.)
>
>Or we could get Poul-Henning to DTRT with libdisk - that would
>be a concept, and even the correct place to handle it. :-)

I actually looked at this, and there are some comments in order:

1. I'm still not sure we know what TRT is.  Although the MB/64hd/32sect
sounds like the best bet to me.

2. Even if we did, I'd need a very dedicated tester with an NCR
controller to help me test it out on the only HW we know of that
fails.

3. The unspecified German HeldenProgrammer that implemented the DD
mode clearly didn't bother with data-hiding, since he's fiddling
the internal libdisk variables in sysinstall rather than calling
Set_Bios_Geom() and a fitting "punishment" could be to "award" him
the task of making it work correctly :-)

How's that ?   :-)

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.