Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:27:08 -0500
From:      "Adam" <ajwoodbe@oakland.edu>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Suggestions for a good hard drive in our FreeBSD ftp server...

I'm hoping someone could offer some advice as to what brand/model of hard
drive would be good for a FreeBSD web server serving at most 100 users (not
all transfering at the same time of course).  Our FTP server is a
custom-built Pentium-II 400MHz system with 128MB RAM, an Intel EtherExpress
Pro 100+ NIC operating at 100Mb/s full-duplex, a 9 GIG Western Digital
Caviar HDD, and an Acer motherboard.  The plan is to add an additional 20
GIGs of space at the very least while keeping the price down.  Initially I
planned on purchasing 1 or 2 Western Digital Expert 27.3 GIG hard drives
(7200 rpm, Ultra-ATA 66, etc.) and dedicating the new drive(s) as storage
space for the uploaded files.  The data that will be stored on this server
is CAD data.  My main concern is whether or not the hard drive will be the
bottle neck during heavy loads.  Would I be all right with the WD Expert HDD
I mentioned above or should I purchase a SCSI controller and SCSI hard
drive?  This server may also be serving a static web page with some dynamic
content in the near future.  Thanks for the help.

Adam