Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 18:44:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca
To:        "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeff@stat.uconn.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Archiving

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a program available on FreeBSD that can
> split a large binary file into smaller pieces which can be reassembled
> at a later date.  My only backup storage media right now are 1.44MB
> floppies and I have a tar-gzipped file that cannot be repacked into
> smaller pieces to fit on a floppy.

>From the FAQ at www.freebsd.org

7.26. How do I split up large binary files into smaller 240k files like the
distribution does?

   Newer BSD based systems have a ``-b'' option to split that allows them
   to split files on arbitrary byte boundaries.

   Here is an example from /usr/src/Makefile.

            bin-tarball:
            (cd ${DISTDIR}; \
            tar cf - . \
            gzip --no-name -9 -c | \
            split -b 240640 - \
            ${RELEASEDIR}/tarballs/bindist/bin_tgz.)

Primarily, have a look at `man split'.  To reassamble the files into one
piece, you can simply

cat splitfiles* >> togetherfile

I think gzip might even accept splitfiles*.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk