Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2013 09:29:06 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing packages from 9.2 Release DVD

On Oct 7, 2013, at 11:35 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> Dear All ,
>=20
> In sysinstall , there are menu items to install packages from release DVD=
 .
>=20
> In bsdinstall , there is NO such package installation menu items .
>=20

You've got the wrong tool.

s/bsdinstall/bsdconfig/

> Another problem is there is no any available information about this subje=
ct
> in the Handbook installation pages ( at least I could not find any one one
> ) .
>=20

bsdconfig was just born in 9.2-R. Nobody has gotten around to documenting i=
t.
I'll be doing the first presentation on it at the vBSDcon [un]Conference co=
ming
up in a couple weeks (Oct 25-27th in Reston, VA; hosted by Verisign).

> Is there any such available information link , and is there any possibili=
ty
> to include such information into Handbook pages and Release Notes templat=
es
> ?
>=20

bsdconfig(8) was announced in the quarterly announcements and release
highlights for FreeBSD 9.2-R.

As for the handbook... it will take time for doc folks to assimilate it.

> When there is no such information , people will use
>=20
> pkg_add -r ...
>=20
> statement although many packages are already in the release DVD which mea=
ns
> a large waste of band width .
>=20

Only media type that bsdconfig(8) doesn't support is TAPE. However, bsdconf=
ig
supports a couple new types of media for accessing packages. Other than tha=
t,
your old friends of CD/DVD, FTP, HTTP, FTP via Proxy, NFS, and some new ones
are all there.

> ( Please consider less experienced people : Each year , many persons are
> entering into an age to try FreeBSD without prior experience about FreeBSD
> . Lack of necessary information about install is an important obstacle for
> such new entries . )
>=20

I appreciate your feedback.

Rest assured, less experienced peoples *were* considered.

That's why I started work on bsdconfig(8) 3 years ago shortly after the dep=
recation
of sysinstall in base.

The curses-UI-loving folks were not forgotten (less experienced or otherwis=
e; a
fancy TUI/GUI doesn't necessarily mean it has to be only usable to less ski=
lled
folks... take "bsdconfig startup" for example -- something not normally pos=
sible
with any other tool regardless of your skill level).
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.