Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:14:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Daniel Haischt <danielh@privat.toplink.de>
Cc:        chuckr@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: itcl-2.1

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Daniel Haischt wrote:

> HIYA
>
> U should update ur port there is a new version available!!!!

No, not really.  I should have discarded the port completely.  There was
a philosophical difference of opinion over that port, and I didn't like
the resulting mess.  No one has ever decided to turn it into something
else, and I was asked not to implement it the way I felt it had to work.

To put it shortly, itcl, by design, replaces part of tcl, however, I
wasn't allowed to overwrite the tcl installation, thus breaking a
correct itcl installation.  If you force itcl to live side by side with
a correct tcl, itcl is broken (correctly written itcl programs break).

This has been discussed to death many times on ports ... it's in the
mail archives.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).