Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 08:06:37 -0800
From:      "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@z-code.ncd.com>
To:        Terry Dwyer <tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Embedded SCSI controller on HP netserver LC

On Mar 7, 10:43, Terry Dwyer wrote:
> Subject: Embedded SCSI controller on HP netserver LC
>
> I've been offered the chance to upgrade my hardware at work from a tired
> old 486DX33 16MB ram to a new machine.  This could well be a HP Netserver
> LC (P100).
>
> I have some reservations about this machine, the main one being to do with
> the embedded SCSI controller, (an aha7770 I've been told), on the EISA
> bus, this is even though the machine has a PCI bus.
>
> Does anyone know if the embedded controller is, in fact a 7770 or has
> someone made a typo, should it be a 7870 (please yes!)

The 7770 is the VL and EISA bus version of the 7xxx serie, You find this chip
on the Adaptec 2842 and 2740. The 78xx chips are PCI chips.

> I've looked at the FAQ and the handbook (on minnie) and it says only 7870
> controllers are supported.  Is this up to date info?

Theoritical all 7xxx chips are supported, running should be 7770, 7870 and
7880.

> Apart from the above, I'm also not very impressed by the SCSI controller
> being attached to the EISA, not the PCI bus.
>
> If anyone could help me out with this I would be most appreciative, I
> have to talk the boss around to speccing my own (ASUS 2940W) machine ASAP.
>

>    _-_|\    Terry Dwyer 	  E-Mail: tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au
>   /     \   System Administrator  Phone: +61 9 491 5161     Fax: +61 9 221
2631
>   *_.^\_/   Telecom Australia     Telstra Corporation       MIME capable
mailer
>        v    Perth  WA                 ( I do not speak for Telstra or Telecom
)

>-- End of excerpt from Terry Dwyer

Ulf.

--
===================================| NCD Software Div. Z-Code, SysAdmin
  FreeBSD 2.1.0 is available now!  | Phone: 415-899-7941 Fax: 898-8299