Date:      Thu, 4 May 1995 20:02:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Another problem with I18N support in sysinstall.

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> If you go with the default font, you get nice looking dialogs and
> lousy looking umlauts, accents and such.  If you go with an ISO8859-1
> font, you get nice umlauts and accents but the line drawing characters
> have gone to hell and the dialogs look terrible.

I think it's an inherent problem in syscons.  There are only 256 font
slots (pcvt uses 512, and remaps everything so most ISO-8859-1 chars
can be displayed without a loaded font), and it's a decision question
if you want to have the all-singing-all-dancing IBM437 box character
crud (instead of single-line box characters as used in VT102), or the
i18n features of ISO-8859-1.

(Do understand me right: i'm not voting for pcvt as the default
driver.)

Perhaps the slot range 0x80 - 0x9f (ISO additional control characters)
can be used for simple box characters.

> P.S. I suddently occurs to me that I've been calling Andrey "Andrew"
> for about 2 years now!

He used to call himself this way for about 2 years. :) (So it can't
be too hard.  Maybe i should get a KOI-8 font and use it for every
mail to one of our russian friends. ;-)

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/