Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 03:52:24 -0500
From:      Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Graceful shutdown after hang?

I seem to have hung up my FreeBSD 2.2.7 box pretty well, and I thought I'd
see if there was something other than cycling the power that I could do.

I was running the vncviewer on an NT machine and I attempted to build a
port (unzip) before changing to root so it failed.  Then I su'd to root and
built it again, but it hung up during the make, so I removed some temporary
files it created and tried to build it again and it hung the xterm.  I went
to another xterm to try and determine the problem and it wouldn't respond,
so I went to the console and none of the 3 virtual consoles would respond.
vncviewer is still happily running and displaying xload and I can ping the
FreeBSD box from the NT machine, but I can't get into any of the xterms or
virtual consoles. I also can't telnet to it.

The hard disk light is on solid.

Whoa!  That was weird.  I thought it might have had something to do with
the CD ROM since it was being accessed during the build, so I pressed the
eject button on the CD ROM drive.  Normally, this is just ignored when the
drive is mounted ie. it won't open.  But as soon as I pressed the button,
the hard disk light went off and I saw a message something like:

wcd0 tray open
syncing disks
panic automatic reboot in 15 seconds vrele negative ref cnt

I didn't have much time to write it down, so it wasn't exactly like that.
Well at least the disks got sync'd so I guess it was better than cycling
the power.

FreeBSD 2.2.7 installed of Walnut Creek CD
YKM Motherboard
Pentium MMX 200
32 MB RAM
Maxtor 4 GB IDE drive