Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:42:14 +0800 (SGT)
From:      sweeting@tm.net.my
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Apologies in advance for dragging this out. I am sorry for the bad form since
this is theoretically off topic but only hope that this will help the list
in the
long run.

I think people have missed something. The responses are sent back to the
questioner but then s/he must compile a summary and send it back
to the list with the word {summary} in the subject. This is perfect for
finding solutions and these summaries are sort of tutorials . (compact,
concise, all in one rather than split over many emails.... and it is a good
way to check if the questioner has understood things ok.)

>>and are
>> >
>> > The trouble with this is that many people need the same questions
>> > answered.  Ive filed off copies of a lot of answers people got to their
>> > questions, rather than having to ask them myself.

Yes, and you will still be able to see the answers, presented nicely in
a compilation / summary of all the input from different people.
(the summaries must be posted back to the list remember.)

to quote again :

    5.Answers to questions are to be mailed back to the questioner and are
not to be sent to
       the entire list. The person who originally asked the question has
the responsibility of
       summarizing the answers and sending the entire summary back to the
list. When a
       summary is sent back to the list, it should contain the word
"SUMMARY" as the first
       word of the "Subject" line.

>> >  Ive also read the
>> > answer to a question that I didnt have, only to find the answer to one I
>> > did.

True but there is sometimes so much traffic that i am sure that i am not
the only one who deletes most of it unread.
Whereas if there are summaries, you can read the answer - knowing that
it is what works; rather than several possible answers.

It also makes it easier to find stuff in the archive.

>> I'll second this.  You will seldom see me ask a question here, but you
>> should see the pile of files from this list that I've saved on subjects
>> of interest to me.  I'm really learning a lot (though I still seem to
>> know all too little).  It serves as something of an ongoing tutorial.

sure would be easier to just collect those nicely compiled summaries.
And i too use those summaries as a form of tutorial.

>>     5.Answers to questions are to be mailed back to the questioner and are
>> not to be sent to
>>        the entire list. The person who originally asked the question has
>
>The trouble with this is that many people need the same questions
>answered.

and could get the Summary very clearly from the archive.

I don't feel extremely strong about this  but merely
sharing what I thought was a good feature of another list.
>From my own experience , it works incredibly well and i have
a  book full of summaries on different topics...
kind of like a "how do i.." archive.
Compiling such information from the multiple posts, back and
forth on a list would have been nigh on impossible for any one
person.

Just my 2 cents.

>I like to save copies of all the messages that look I'll be asking them
>later on. However I've ended up with so many it's a real chore going back
>through them. :-)
>
>The reason I always copy my answers back to the list is so:
>
>1) in case i've got it wrong
>
>2) if i've got it right someone else who wanted to know can see it
>
>3) if i've got it right no-one else will need to answer it and they can
>concentrate on the curly questions :-)

The summaries on the OSF-managers list are perfect for this.
I have a book full of these summaires. (read "tutorials").. easy to find
the problem and cure in one go.

again, my most sincere apologies for the bad form and i will let this one
drop...  just clearing up possible misunderstanding of my previous post.

chas