Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:48:40 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        absinthe@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improved searching for FreeBSD.org web site

Dylan Carlson wrote:

> On Friday 23 August 2002 08:54am, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>>Heck, I'm offering to babysit the thing and keep it up to date (more than
>>can be said about the currently pathetic search engine on the site), and
>>this company is looking for a free advertising angle.
>>

> I can understand if you are frustrated by not getting a response before...
> however,  I think it would be false to make any assumptions what Atomz's
> motivations are until they are clearly stated to us.
>
> IMO, both engines look nice.
>
> I'm assuming your search engine is an OSS project.
> 	Pros:
> 		- We can contribute to it, improve it over time
> 		- There is no possibility we'd ever have to pay for it
> 		- There is the aspect of eating ones own dog food.
> 	Cons:
> 		- You are a single point of failure (currently).
>
> Atomz Search.
> 	Pros:
> 		- Clearly has more bells and whistles (AFAIK)
> 		- Is in use in many commercial environments
> 		- Fully hosted (does not require us to install/maintain anything)
> 		- Atomz runs FreeBSD to host their service
> 	Cons:
> 		- Long term viability (will it always be there?)
> 		- Cost  (free today, cost tomorrow)?
>
> This relationship should be clarified, but on the surface I like it so far.
> In the event Atomz folds or changes the terms of the relationship later, I
> don't believe it would be a colossal effort to get htDig or some other engine
> in place quickly.
>
> In the event that Atomz uses FreeBSD as a promotional piece -- realize it can
> work both ways:  we can also say that their platform succeeds in part by
> using FreeBSD.
>
> I think it was nice of Atomz to offer, and open a dialogue with us.  I'd like
> to know more about what they can do for us.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice search engine.  However, allow me to make a few points.

First, the search engine I am writing is definitely open source.  As far as a
single point of failure goes, I'm not sure we are on the same page.  I have
written the engine to use no particular database system - only tools that come
with a full FreeBSD install - nothing else.  It was built to run on a FreeBSD
web server, and have the ability to be mirrored to the other sites as well.  I
CAN host the FreeBSD search engine - but I don't think that is the "right way".

Bells and whistles are nice - and sometimes needed.  I'm interested to hear what
users want, so I can implement those.

I'm offering to do all the install/maintainence on the search engine for
FreeBSD.org, whichever way that happens to be.  Like I said - I'll babysit it,
tweak, modify, etc, to keep it right.

Oh - keep in mind that the engine you use on sprawler.com is my test bed - it
could break or act funny any time while I "tweak".  If it is going to be used in
production, I'll set up another box. :D

Eric