Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:09:00 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        Chris H <chris#@1command.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replace Cisco IOS/CBOS with freebsd - possible?

On Jan 29, 2009, at 1:50 AM, Chris H wrote:

> Greetings,
> I'm RP for a fairly large chunk of IP real estate. I carved out
> a /27 segment for my home network. Which is currently running over
> a cisco 837 GW (adsl/router). I'm not really keen on it (the router/
> modem).
> So I thought to myself that it couldn't be /that/ hard to build a
> box with FBSD that could replace it - am I crazy? Wouldn't it
> be possible to upload a minimal build of FBSD to the modem, not unlike
> one would tftp a new version of cisco's IOS, or CBOS? I searched
> the projects area to see if anyone had tried it. But the only thing
> that came anywhere near was netperf. But the only similarity is that
> it
> is network related. Anyway, this seems quite feasable as far as I can
> tell. So I thought I'd ask in hopes someone might enlighten me
> further.
> Maybe someones already tried it?
>
> Thank you for all your time and consideration in this matter.
>
> --Chris

	Good luck on that. Probably not to be honest because Cisco does a
great deal of corporate IP protection on their images, etc. I know
because I work for Cisco :).
	All I can really say (based on my little knowledge) is that it's no
doubt a PPC based embedded processor, so if you need to look further,
I'd first explore and PPC ports to that specific chipset, and
definitely make sure to check with the NetBSD folks and see if anyone
has ported to that platform.
Cheers,
-Garrett