Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 02:50:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        doconnor@ist.flinders.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dial on demand with dynamic IP

[Dial on demand with dynamic IP]
> > Is it worth a try? Is anyone alreay doing it? :)
>
> This is only half the problem, but it would probably make things
> better for most sites.
>
> The ``other'' problem is when a process bind()s to an IP number that
> gets dynamically re-assigned.
>
> Perhaps the *real* answer is to never change the IP number of the
> interface, and to change all IP numbers that are the same as the one
> netogitated through IPCP to that of the interface.
>
> Hmmm, that would work wouldn't it ?

Yeah, it'd likely work, but would deny one IP address from being
accessed from your network.  Not too big a loss, though.

I'm doing it by using an interface route to tun<X> and adding the
dynamic addresses to the lo0 interface; I could probably just as well
add them to tun<X>, as long as the addresses are removed when the call
is brought down - demand TCP streams must not bind to the addresses,
and for an interface with addresses at demand time they will.

Eivind.