Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:43:46 -0500
From:      "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Suggested improvements for ports

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> Some of this has been discussed ad infinitum, but, in an off-list
> conversation, I came up with this list of suggested improvements
> for port.  I'd like to see these things done, but I'm not sure how.
>  Improve the docs?  Create a checklist?

A fairly complete redrafting of the current docs (combine the stuff in
the handbook and the stuff in the porters guide into a "ports guide")
is one of the side projects of ports 2.0.

> 1) You can't build a dependent port and first set the config for
> the options that you want.  So, when you select sasl in postfix,
> you never get the chance to check the saslauthd option, for
> example. 2) There's no standard for some of the details of port
> building. So, it's entirely up to the port maintainer and the
> committer to decide how to build the port.  The postfix port
> maintainer *could* include a dependency for saslauthd. He chose not
> to.  He *could* include a note in pkg-message that warns you that
> saslauthd needs to be installed as well.  He chose not to.  His
> choices are both reasonable and customary, but they don't serve the
> customer well. 3) There's no standard for the format of pkg-plist,
> pkg-message or pkg-descr, so port maintainers are free to put
> whatever they want in there.  There's a customary way of doing it,
> but it's not set in stone and variations are found throughout
> ports. 4) There's no standard for config files.  Do you overwrite?
> Do you ignore?  Do you create port.conf-sample?  port.conf-dist?
> port.conf-example?  Do you check to see if port.conf is there, and,
>  if not, copy it to ${LOCALBASE}/etc? ${PREFIX}/etc? 5) There's no
> standard for pkg-plist.  When is it required?  When is it not?
> (IOW, what's the maximum number of files you can put in Makefile so
> you don't have to create a pkg-plist?  Do you use unexec always?
> Or only when you want/decide to?  Do you just ignore the conf file
> and not uninstall it?

All of the above have been adddressed and/or on the agenda for ports
2.0.   If you want details contact me, David Southwell or
alepulver@FreeBSD.org since the topic has been more then hashed out
publically and til some results are ready it is not a good idea to do
so again.

> I don't know the right answer to these questions, but I think they
> need to be answered.  I'm willing to volunteer to do some work if
> someone will tell me what that work is.  Docs?  A committee?

Already established in forms of the ports 2.0 team if you want to join
we are always looking for new people.

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems, Java Developer Tools.