Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:58:09 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        Michael Silver <michael@silvertriad.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-multi-homed system

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 06:47:33PM -0400, Michael Silver wrote:
> I have a situation where there is an internet connection in a building and
> several of the tenents would like to access this connection.  I have used
> FreeBSD in a multi-homed environment, and could easily setup the all the
> tenets on the same network, however I would like to put each on their own
> for security reasons.  What would be the best way to do this without
> installing a FreeBSD machine or router for each tenent?

If you want to put each set of tenants on their own network, you just
need to get a NIC for each separate network you're gonna have. You
connect each NIC to each of the tenant's network hub. Allocate networks
for each tenant-net with something like:

	192.168.1.0
	192.168.2.0
	192.168.3.0
	192.168.4.0

Your FreeBSD multi-homed host will have the first address of each network.
ie: 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.3.1, ...  Each tenant-net can have
up to 253 machines on their own separate network. All that have to
done on their end would be to have the default-gateway setting set to
the 192.168.X.1.

To prevent indavertant access from one tenant-network to the other,
you'll have to set up appropriate firewall rules. You may also want to
set up the multi-homed host as a DNS server as well.

>I would also like
> to use DHCP so that all the tenets would get the latest DNS servers.

DHCP is a good idea, but you'll have to wade thru' the docs. The
ISC-DHCP server is pretty good one to use.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen                                       Once is dumb luck.
                                                 Twice is coincidence.