Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:27:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Janis <janisd@optonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cant get a Hostname

Janis wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hi ,
>
> I recently moved to a different city and I moved my local cable modem
> with me. I never had a problem before getting a hostname to come up in
> my address. I have called the internet cable company several times but
> I get no help. They tell me as long as I connect they dont see a
> problem. But I am having a problem, I cant get onto alot of servers
> with a software I use. Is there anyway that I can change this IP to a
> hostname??? Please help thanks

Yes, the IP address that shows in your message header has no reverse DNS.
That is a Bad Thing, and it is most definitely your ISPs problem.
Complain to whoever you need to at optonline.net to get the problem
corrected.  Tell them Ryan sent you :-)

In the interim, manually setting a hostname for your IP in /etc/hosts and
again in rc.conf (hostname="localhost") will help with SOME software and
servers, if you haven't already done so.  You will really need to have
reverse DNS enabled for your IP address, though.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2