Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 12:21:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   Re: major/minor numbers

 > Oh, you are right.  You mean something like:
 >
 > device mse0	at isa? ...	# bus mouse
 > device psm0	at isa? ...	# PS/2 mouse
 >
 > controller uhci0
 > controller usb0
 > device ums0
 >
 > pseudo-device mouse	3	# or more, if we like
 > pseudo-device kbd 2

Why is this? (same for keyboard) We don't need to specify this I
believe. Dynamic allocation would do fine I think, especially if you
only do a hand-off.

But a much better solution would be to create a mouse bus attaching to
the root bus, and connect all the mice to that one. Unit numbers will be
increasing, so we will only need one major number for that one, one
naming scheme, like mouse[0-9]+, in /dev. Sysmouse could integrate with
that as well.

Dynamic attachment and detachment is straightforward or automatic,
implemented in the mouse bus.

Nick

--
ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy