Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 2010 01:22:19 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, paradox <ddkprog@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: propose: all arch move into a separate dir

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:
> There are two chief problems with a large-scale reorg of our src tree:
>
> =A0- There are many companies who use FreeBSD as part of their business.
> =A0 In the case of ISPs or companies who use FreeBSD as a base of their
> =A0 products, this would make it much harder for them to synchronize
> =A0 their local changes with the master repository as changes occur.
>
> =A0- We have a large number of existing Problem Reports containing patche=
> =A0 against our src tree. =A0These patches would be in the same situation=
.

> These are the reasons we've avoided doing so in the past, no matter how
> much 'cleaner' things might wind up being.

    I'm going to come off ignorant as well because I don't have the
necessary history in the past attempts to reorganize this -- but would
it make sense to gradually work in the changes over an extended period
of time and encourage better directory structure in the short-term for
new code or would it be too much of a blooming mess to consider.
Probably the latter due to the inherent inconsistency with the rework,
but I figured I should ask.
Thanks!
-Garrett